"Since having the Monarc procedure, I am free of absorbent pads, free of worrying about leaking, free to drink all the liquids I want and free to have fun again."*
The MonarcTM Subfascial Hammock treats female stress urinary incontinence by placing a narrow strip of mesh in your body to support the urethra. The Monarc uses what is called a transobturator approach to place the supportive mesh. The transobturator approach avoids the retropubic space, the area of loose connective tissue between the bladder, pubic bone and abdominal wall. With this approach, narrow mesh carriers are passed through an area near the groin at the obturator of the pubic bone. The mesh is then attached and pulled into place under the urethra.
Once placed, the hammock cradles your urethra and gives it a point of support.
Most patients are continent immediately following the procedure and can resume normal, non-strenuous activities within a few days.
The Monarc offers several benefits:
- Patients generally recover quickly and experience immediate continence.
- It is minimally invasive and suitable for a wide variety of patients.
- Incisions in the groin area are small.
- Can be used in patients who have retropubic scarring resulting from prior pelvic surgery.
- The hammock can be loosened or tightened during and immediately after the procedure.
*These comments are based on the types of experiences relayed in monitored chat rooms where patients have shared their experiences. They are not reflective of individual patients, and may not be typical for all users.