American Medical Systems, Inc. (AMS) is a trusted leader in providing medical solutions that restore the pelvic health of men and women worldwide. Founded in 1972, AMS is based in Minnetonka, MN and is a world-class leader in advanced medical technologies. Beginning with the company’s early days and through today, AMS has built a foundation for strong physician relationships by developing surgical seminars and practice management programs. As of June 20, 2011, AMS became a wholly owned subsidiary of Endo Pharmaceuticals. With this acquisition, Endo brings AMS additional support and resources to build on its track-record of success, and AMS adds scale to Endo’s devices and services, and solidifies its core urology franchise.
The combination of AMS and Endo further builds upon Endo’s strategy of transforming the enterprise into a healthcare solutions provider with an integrated business model that is best positioned to respond to the changing post healthcare reform environment, and improve outcomes for patients, providers and payers.
Quick facts about AMS:
- Founded in 1972 with first artificial urinary sphincter for male incontinence
- Headquarters in Minnetonka, MN, with a second U.S. location in San Jose, CA and international offices and affiliates
- Employs more than 1,200 people in 9 countries
- Product portfolio consists of 14 devices/services in 3 segments (Men’s Health, Women’s Health, Prostate Health)
- Leading brand name among urologists, gynecologists and urogynecologists
- Market leader in 5 product categories
- Direct sales in 13 countries; distributors in 67 countries